Jocha previously released a very popular mail report-script for Windows Backup. A downside with the new Azure backup-agent is that it did not offer mail reports… until today!
When installing the Azure Backup Agent you need to supply your vault credentials.
If doing so incorrectly you will get the following error…
Lately we’ve been getting a lot of inquiries regarding Azure Backup. One customer tried to set up the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services (MARS) agent, they experienced a problem where the backup job fails immediately…
Depending upon the version of the sync solution that you are using to replicate directory data from on-premises Active Directory to Office 365 there are different commands that you will need to use.
While doing a regular maintenance check on my customers servers when I came across a new event in the log.
I’ve previously wrote about changing the sync schedule on this server.
But today I noticed two event errors, ADSync event 6127 and 6127.
I finally I got some time to play with the new Azure Active Directory Sync tool and its configuration.
The installation was very straight forward. The step-by-step instruction are provided on MSDN. The administration tools and scripts are located in difference places compared to DirSync which was little confusing in the beginning.
By default DirSync runs every three hours; which for some environments or during testing may not be frequent enough…
You must install the appropriate version of the Windows Azure AD Module for Windows PowerShell for your operating system from the Microsoft Download Center.
Once installed you can start the Windows Azure Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell.
Per default the calendars of shared mailboxes in Office 364 have “FreeBusyTimeOnly” permissions applied.
You could create a new sharing policy and change the applied policy on those accounts.
I however chose to just change the sharing permissions on the shared calendar.
The GUI at Microsoft is great but sometimes we need to dig a bit deeper.
I ran into some issues with a Resource mailbox and had to do some troubleshooting in the Office 365 service.